Mpongo Game Reserve Reviews & Information
Use the drop down below to find out more information about Mpongo Game Reserve.
The Mpongo Reserve is located only half hour drive from the popular seaside city of East London. This novel wildlife reserve provides visitors with an exceptional safari. This malaria-free game reserve features conference rooms, a boardroom, and luxurious accommodation, a swimming pool and several activities such as adventurous game drives.
The reserve is 45 km from the airport. It is a mere 25 minutes drive on the N6 road to the city for shopping, theatre entertainment, and visits to the many attractions offered by the city, or relaxation on its sandy beaches. A tarred road from the N6 leads the visitor straight to the entrance of the game-rich reserve. The Reserve received its name from the Umpongo River, which features prominently in Xhosa history.
The lodge is home to the lion, hippo, elephant, rhino, buffalo, giraffe, numerous grassland species and several bird species. It provides its guests with a unique combination of luxury with more than 8000 acres of wilderness in undulating hills and valleys. The Huberta Lodge provides six en-suite bedrooms while the River Lodge offers 12 elegant bedrooms. Guests may also be accommodated in one of the two bedroom chalets overlooking the reserve's river.
A combination of European style and African decorations at the lodge ensures that the deluxe suites provide the perfect setting for relaxation after a day of safari. En-suite bathrooms, a fireplace, and excellent game viewing opportunities from the comfort of the stylish suites make for an unforgettable stay.
The Lodge & Chalets offers game lodge accommodation in the heart of the reserve in it's 12 fully furnished bedrooms. The lodge provides a lounge, excellent food at its dining area, a swimming pool to cool off, deck for stunning views, a braai area and a bar to quench the thirst.
The lodge has 6 African-colonial styled en-suite bedrooms. A sunny lounge and kitchenette welcome guests. The honeymoon suite offers luxurious game lodge accommodation to newlyweds, which features its private jacuzzi.
Guests staying at the lodge are invited to enjoy the delightful evenings in the Huberta Restaurant, which is decorated with undertones of the Xhosa culture. Visitors are welcome to experience the African pot-roast in the Buffalo Lapa with its crackling fire under the open evening sky.
The Huberta Restaurant is one of the top Eastern Cape game lodge restaurants. This stylish restaurant is strategically built just above the Mpongo hippo waterhole, where guests can enjoy an afternoon meal while watching the hippos lingering in the water nearby.
Below detailed information about the Mpongo Game Reserve is available.
For any queries regarding this hotel, you are welcome to contact us.
- Ensuite / Private bathroom
- Tea and coffee making facilities
The Huberta Restaurant at Mpongo Game Reserve is decorated with undertones of the Xhosa culture. Guests are welcome to experience the African pot-roast in the Buffalo Lapa next to fire, under the evening sky.
The Huberta Restaurant at the Mpongo Game Reserve is one of the top Eastern Cape game lodge restaurants. This stylish restaurant is strategically built just above the Mpongo hippo waterhole, where guests can enjoy a meal while watching the hippos lingering in the water nearby.
Elegant decor with a touch of Xhosa culture compliments the dining experience and the close, but a safe encounter with Africa's wild animals. Guests are treated to a blend of African and European cuisine. Diners can select from a wide range of wine cultivars to compliment their delicious meals.
Game drives, be it a self-drive or a guided game drive, can be enjoyed in the Mpongo Private Game Reserve. Various routes are available to choose from, and game drives can be enjoyed at different times of the day due to the number of options available. Bookings for game drives are essential to avoid disappointment.
Mpongo Private Game Reserve also offers wilderness horseback trails which will take riders deep into the heart of the legendary reserve. Mpongo is also a birder's paradise and has re-introduced the endangered Red-Billed Ox-Pecker, a bird extinct in this part of the Eastern Cape since the early 1900s.
- Rock climbing
- Water sports
- Arrival tea, coffee or juice
- Mid morning tea, coffee, and pastries
- Afternoon tea, coffee, and biscuits or rusks
- Mints and mineral water·
- Mvubu room - 39 pax u-shaped seating, 100 pax cinema style, 72 pax schoolroom seating, 80 pax banquet style
- Nyala room - 33 pax u-shaped seating, 80 pax cinema style, 54 pax schoolroom seating, 70 pax banquet style
- Indaba room - 25 pax u-shaped seating, 50 pax cinema style, 30 pax schoolroom seating
- Buffalo lapa - 80 pax banquet seating
- Boardroom Facilities
- Conference venue
- Swimming Pool
Check in and Check Out Times
- Check in: 14:00
- Check out: 10:00
- Airport transfers
- Concierge services
- Game drive safaris
- Housekeeping service
- Room service
- Tours & Transfers on Request
- # Rooms:
The Huberta Lodge features six en suite bedrooms. A combination of European style and African decorations at the Mpongo Game Lodge ensures that the deluxe suites provide the perfect setting for relaxation after a day of safari. En-suite bathrooms, a fireplace, and excellent game viewing opportunities from the comfort of the stylish suites make for an unforgettable stay.
The Huberta Lodge in the Mpongo Game Reserve offers true Eastern Cape hospitality in its 6 African-colonial styled en-suite bedrooms. A warm lounge and kitchenette welcome guests. The honeymoon suite features its own Jacuzzi.
River Lodge: Deluxe
- # Rooms:
The Mpongo River Lodge and Chalets offer accommodation in 11 fully furnished rooms and three chalets which feature two rooms each. The lodge provides a lounge, an excellent dining area, a swimming pool, viewing deck, a braai area, and a bar.
Lodge room features:
- En-suite bathroom
- Tea and coffee making facilities
IL Standard room
Mpongo Game Reserve Specials
There are currently no specials for the Mpongo Game Reserve.
Please check again soon.
Your review has been submitted
Thank you for submitting your review. Our team will check your review and be in touch should we have any questions.
An error was found. Please correct and submit again.
Share your personal review with us of your stay at this property.
Directions from the Beacon Bay Circle:
1. Turn left/right onto the Friendly N6, travel for 28km's, passing Newlands and Ducats on your left
2. Look out for the Mpongo sign on your left and turn left into St Lukes Road
3. You will travel approximately 7 km on this road & reach Mpongo Private Game Reserve on your right
Directions from Bloemfontein:
1. Follow the N6 main route from Bloemfontein until you reach Stutterheim
2. From Stutterheim continue the N6 until you pass Maclean Town
3. Once you pass Macleantown, continue for approximately 4km
4. Turn off to the left after the Mpongo signage, into St Luke's Road
5. Continue for approximately 7km on this road. Mpongo Private Game Reserve will be on your right. Proceed through the main gate
Directions from East London Airport:
1. Once you leave the airport area, turn left at the traffic lights onto Settlers Highway
2. Follow the Highway into the City Centre
3. At the Traffic Circle at lower Oxford Street, you are to proceed straight ahead to the second set of traffic lights. You are now at the Fleet Street & Currie Street Intersection
4. Proceed straight ahead to the Fleet Street and Fitzpatrick Street intersection (there are no traffic lights at this intersection)
5. Turn left into Fitzpatrick Street. Proceed straight ahead
6. You will pass two sets of traffic lights and will continue straight ahead onto the North East Expressway. You will pass the following off-ramps: (i) Pearce Street and (ii) Beacon Bay. Continue Straight ahead
7. You will pass a Sasol garage on your left at the next set of traffic lights. Continue straight ahead, the road will make a slight right turn until you reach a traffic circle
8. At the Traffic Circle turn left onto the "Friendly N6" Highway towards Stutterheim/Macleantown/Queenstown
9. Proceed on this road for approximately 25km. You will pass landmarks such as The Lion Park, Thornpark Valley and Marine Centre
10. You will pass the turn-off to Newlands. Slow down - the Mpongo signage will soon be visible
11. Turn off to the left after the Mpongo signage, into St Luke's Road
12. Continue for approximately 7km on this road. Mpongo Private Game Reserve will be on your right. Proceed through the main gate
On site parking facilities are provided for guests.