Shamwari Private Game Reserve, amazing wildlife animal sightings and lodges of varying styles and decor from colonial to African chic. The lodge is popular with honeymooners looking for romantic safari getaway.
Shamwari guests may choose to stay at one of the six different lodges and the Explorer Camp to perfectly compliment their African adventure experience. Ranging from the colonial and bush style Sarili Lodge to the exclusive and serene Eagles Crag Lodge and the luxury tented Bayethe Lodge, this reserve offers a great variety of different safari accommodation.
The reserve is in the Eastern-Cape of South Africa. Readily available from Port Elizabeth, Shamwari offers travellers a five-star luxury safari adventure with unforgettable wildlife encounters. Situated along the beautiful Bushmans River, the reserve's lodges are set halfway between Port Elizabeth and Grahamstown.
Travellers with various requirements, such as honeymoon couples, leisure travellers, adventurers as well as families travelling with children, find suitable safari options in this reserve. Shamwari is seen as the most prestigious wildlife reserves in the greater Addo area and has been host to Hollywood movie star, prime minister and presidents. It has the added advantage of being Malaria free and wildlife sighting are very good.
Shamwari activities on offer all involve wildlife and nature conservation. Thrilling early morning and afternoon & evening safari drives offer guests the opportunity to meet the 'Big Five' and other animals in close encounters. Modern open safari viewing vehicles allow for comfort and best wildlife viewing; the rangers provide insightful information about flora and fauna.
Relaxing health and beauty spa treatments can be enjoyed in the Relaxation Retreats, while a visit to the Born Free Big Cat Sanctuary, as well as the Ian Player Rhino Awareness Centre and The Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre, are highly recommended.
Families experience a memorable, educational and fun family safari at Shamwari. Upon arrival, kids receive a gift pack and activity options with the family are discussed keeping the children's ages, interest as well as the weather in mind. Childminding services are available at an additional charge for children younger than four years as they are too young to participate in the safari drives.
At the Born Free Foundation Big Cat Rescue Centre, the activities focus on the conservation of species and the protection of habitat. Children encounter various animals at the Shamwari Animal Rehabilitation Centre, which are being prepared for release back into the wild.
- Shamwari Eagles Crag: Complete within and outdoor showers, as well as individual plunge pools with deck, the seven deluxe suites at Eagles Crag Lodge, are tucked away, circled by mountain cliffs. The spacious suites include stone and glass thus allowing guests magnificent vistas of the rock faces. This lodge offers a library, a bar & cigar lounge with fireplace and big-screen television, an upstairs lounge, a relaxation retreat with two therapy rooms, hydro bath, steam room and sauna as well as a gift boutique and a desk with internet access.
- Villa Lobengula: Six suites which consist of the King bed Chief Suite which features a private plunge pool, a lounge and fireplace, the two Twin & King bed Junior Suites, each of which has a separate plunge pool and the three Twin & King bedded Junior Suites. Amenities at the lodge include an outdoor swimming pool, the reflection deck, a yoga studio, a gym, a sanctuary with steam room and sauna, a library collection, a wine cellar, a small gift boutique and a central lounge with a central media centre. WiFi is available here, and an electric perimeter fence surrounds the lodge.
- Long Lee Manor: Grand living combined with style from a bygone era can be experienced at the Long Lee Manor House. Colonial accommodation is surrounded by trimmed gardens, swimming pools and ponds, patios all of which provide wonderful views of the bushveld plains which team with wildlife. Facilities at this lodge include the Recreation Retreat with therapy rooms, steam room, sauna and a gym. The lodge has a boutique and alfresco dining facilities, a writing desk with Wifi as well as a wine cellar. The perimeter fence allows guests to enjoy the outdoors. The accommodation consists of the Honeymoon Suite with balcony, the Twin bedded Manor Suite with balcony, Twin bedded Garden Suites (inter-leading), Twin bedded Palm Court Luxury Rooms (one is wheelchair friendly with wheelchair ramps), Twin bedded Sidbury Suites, as well as the Twin, bedded Sidbury Luxury Room.
- Bayethe Lodge: Accommodation in luxury tents makes for a memorable safari experience. The refined tents nestle amongst the abundant vegetation, offering travellers a feeling of seclusion and privacy with vistas of the bush. Facilities include the famous Bush Relaxation Retreat, a gift boutique, a welcoming lounge area with TV, in and outdoor dining venues, an outdoor swimming pool with sundeck as well as a business desk with internet access. Bayethe Hills consists of 2 King bedded Superior Tents, and 1 Twin bedded Superior Tent while luxury features 3 King bedded Luxury Tents, and 6 Twin bedded Luxury Tents. Each of the 12 detached tents can accommodate a maximum of two adults. Besides convenient standard features such as minibars and en-suite bathrooms, the tents offer private plunge pools as well as indoor baths and outdoor showers.
- Riverdene Family Lodge: This remote African lodge offers 9 Luxury Rooms which are made up of 6 Twin bedded Luxury rooms, and 3 Twin bedded Luxury rooms with sleeper couches. Seven of these suits are interleading and can accommodate a maximum of two adults sharing with one child which is subject to the availability of rooms with sleeper couches. The elegantly restored frontier homestead, Riverdene Lodge, welcomes families travelling with children of all ages. Activities are available to entertain children while kids may also participate in the exciting “Kids on Safari” program. Lodge facilities include a rim-flow swimming pool with shallow area for children, a supervised playroom and jungle gym, a gift boutique, a boma overlooking Bushmans River, a bar and lounge, a business desk with internet access as well as in outdoor dining facilities.
- Sarili Lodge: This Lodge at Shamwari offers the ideal combination of a bush and comfort. Ideally suited for families and small parties, Sarili Lodge is above the Bushman’s River. Only five suites are available, which consist of two Luxury Rooms with balconies overlooking the river, two Luxury Rooms with patio and one Suite with television, sleeper couch and balcony overlooking the river. Lodge facilities include the deck which looks over the Bushmans River, a heated swimming pool with shallow area for children, a lounge with fireplace and satellite television, in outdoor dining venues as well as a business desk and WiFi connection.
Wellness: Relaxation Retreats
At the Relaxation Retreats, guests may choose from a selection of body and beauty treatments which cater to both women and men. The spas are at Long Lee Manor, at the Eagles Crag Lodge, at the Bayethe Tented Lodge and the Lobengula Lodge. Furthermore, spa and beauty treatments can also be arranged for guests who stay at the Riverdene Lodge and the Santilli Lodge.
Eagles Crag Lodge Retreat:
- Two treatments rooms
- Sauna and steam bath.
Villa Lobengula Retreat:
- Two treatment rooms
- Steam room and sauna.
Long Lee Manor Retreat:
- Two treatment rooms
- Steam room and gym.
Bayethe Bush Retreat:
- Twin treatment room
- Guests enjoy spa treatments in the privacy of their rooms.
- Safari Drives
- Bushwalks/walking safaris
- Bird watching
- Spa treatments
- Visit the Born Free Big Cat Sanctuary
- Visit the Ian Player Rhino Awareness Center
- Visit The Wildlife Rehabilitation Center