The Outpost Lodge Kruger National Park Reviews & Information
Use the drop down below to find out more information about The Outpost Lodge Kruger National Park.
The Outpost Lodge is located in the Makuleke Park covering over 26,010 hectares of pristine Kruger bushveld. Set in the Limpopo Province, this park nestles in the largest and wildest area of South Africa's Kruger National Park and is bordered by the Limpopo River and Zimbabwe to the north and by the famous Crooks Corner and Mozambique to the east.
The Pafuri airstrip allows guests to fly directly into the Kruger National Park. The safari begins on arrival; guests are met by an open 4x4 safari vehicle and a guide for their transfer to The Outpost. The transfer is a pleasant 45-minute scenic drive through the Pafuri region of the Kruger National Park, with some excellent game viewing opportunities on the way.
Visitors to the Makuleke Contractual Park can experience a great variety of game ranging from elephants and buffalo to over 350 bird species. Exclusive to this region of the Kruger National Park is the Nyala, an antelope that does not wander to the south of the reserve. The topography is characterised by a variety of Mopane woodlands, Fever Tree forests, Acacia thickets and some of the oldest Baobab specimens which make for breathtaking scenery.
The Outpost’s design is one of the clean and bright lines using a combination of elements including steel, concrete and open space. This current design highlights the attractive surroundings while preserving the wilderness surrounding it. Designers and architects alike have ensured that prudent water management and operative sun-orientation has been implemented to minimise energy consumption at this unique safari lodge in the Kruger National Park.
- 26 510ha Contractual Park, in the heart of the Limpopo Transfrontier “Peace” Park
- Sharing a border with Zimbabwe and Mozambique, Southern Africa
- Untouched "Big 5" Wilderness with only three concessionaires allowed to traverse
- Unique typography with a broad diversity of landscape
- Diverse eco-system: almost 80% of the Kruger National Parks diversity.
- Birder’s paradise: over 352 recorded species with an impressive list of specials
- Listed Ramsar Site: wetlands of international importance
- Traces of early humankind discovered in the area
- Baobab trees carbon dating back 1400 years
- Lanner Gorge: rocks dating back 250 million years
- Crooks Corner: the confluence of 3 countries and two rivers
- Thulamela Ruins: stone ruins of a royal citadel, dating back to between 15th and 17th centuries.
The twelve open-plan luxurious accommodation suites provide magnificent panoramic views of the untamed bushveld and river. Special touches include Nguni cowhides on the ottomans and bright pillows allowing guests to soak up the wonders of their surroundings while appreciating the luxury of their en-suite suites.
- Luxury Suites
- Honeymoon Suite.
The luxury spaces are joined to the main building by an attractive walkway made from Zimbabwean teak. For honeymooners, the most private and romantic Honeymoon Suite awaits where guests enjoy tranquillity and romance throughout their stay.
- Unique open luxury spaces in the rooms
- Beautiful panoramic views
- State-of-the-art remote controlled weather screens
- Stunning bathroom with stone bath and shower overlooking the bush
- Double basin
- King sized bed with goose down duvets
- Mosquito Netting
- Lounge and private terrace with daybed
- Eco-friendly cooling system.
- Well stocked mini bar
- Nespresso coffee machines
- Mosquito repellent
- Robes and slippers
- Hairdryer and safe
The main building is an embodiment of the Lodge with its open space and expansive views. Overlooking the outdoor swimming pool, guests can relax on the terrace with luxurious daybeds and comfortable chairs provided by the lodge.
The modern bar defines the lounge and dining spaces while the room, with its impressive array of books, is the ideal place for a good read.
Breakfast and lunch may be served in the dining area or at a picnic while guests are out on a safari. Dinner is served in the enclosed courtyard or on the swimming pool deck enabling guests to enjoy the majestic stars.
- Dining room
- Wine cellar
- Swimming pool
- Superb South African wines
- Deck with spectacular views
- Lounge with fireplace
- Fictional, non-fictional books and novels
- In-room massage therapies.
Rejuvenating massage treatments are available in the privacy of the guests’ suites. The spectacular vistas from the suites combined with the relaxing massage treatments make for an out-of-this-world combination of comfort, wellness, and beauty.
An incredible 26,500 hectares of some of the wildest and most biologically diverse areas of the Kruger National Park makes for the most fascinating and memorable safari encounters a guest can ask for, whether via game drives or on walking safaris.
Meanwhile, the area’s rich historical and cultural heritage is quickly investigated by guided visits to Crooks Corner and the Thulamela archaeological site overlooking the Luvuvhu River or by a visit to the Makuleke Village.
- Two game drives daily
- Bush walks & walking safaris
- Private safaris
- Birding safaris
- Village tour
- Historical tour - Thulamela Ruins
- History tour - Crooks Corner
- Spa treatments.
Guests are taken on game drives in the early morning and then again in the late afternoon which leads into the early evening. The safaris are accompanied by qualified and experienced guides in open 4x4 safari vehicles. These thrilling drives through the reserve are not restricted to the public roads in the Kruger National Park and therefore mostly take place on tracks formerly reserved for the use of park officials.
- Tea, filter coffee and snacks on morning game drive
- Drinks and snacks on afternoon game drive
- Big 5’ game viewing
- State of the art Land Rovers.
Conferences and Weddings
The peaceful location is combined with its splendid beauty, and an array of safari activities makes it a superb venue for company getaways, team building events, and unforgettable weddings. Conference delegates can leave the urban jungle behind them and enjoy the sounds and smells of the African bush for a few days.
The Lodge can accommodate 24 guests while a minimum of 16 guests ensures exclusive use of the lodge and tailor-made packages.
Private Big 5 Wilderness
The Makuleke Contractual Park (Pafuri), one of just a few of true wilderness areas left in South Africa, is rich in history and offers vegetation very different to anything else in the Kruger National Park. The trees in the area are huge, and the topography of this region is diverse ranging from majestic mountains, impressive gorges, shady forests, mopane woodlands and vast open savannah bushveld.
The beautiful and peaceful Levuvhu River has hippos and crocodiles. The area is also the favourite grazing area for the elephants during the winter months while leopards thrive in the thick bushveld and prey on the local antelope.
Birding specialists will find the variety of unusual birds astounding, and these include the Pel’s fishing-owl, the black-throat wattle-eyed, African crowned eagle and the racket-tailed roller.
Makuleke Contractual Park:
- Almost 80% of the Kruger National Park’s diversity live here
- 26 502 ha Big 5 Park with only three concessionaires
- Over 352 bird species identified
- Listed Ramsar Wetland Site
- Traces of early humankind.
Sharing a border with Mozambique and Zimbabwe, the Makuleke Contractual Park is the ancestral home of the Makuleke people and is one of the most diverse and scenic regions of the Kruger National Park.
- Makuleke Contractual Park, Northern Kruger National Park
- Limpopo Province, South Africa
- Travers over 26 520 hectares.
- 653 km from Johannesburg (about a 6-hour drive).
Access by road and air
There are daily flights and road transfers to and from the lodge which can be organised on request. There are three airports in the Kruger National Park area, namely the Phalaborwa Airport for the northern section, the Hoedspruit Airport for the central region and the Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport or OR Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg for the South of the country. Charter flights from either of these airports as well as of others are also available upon request.
There is a 1011 meter gravel runway in the concession, where travellers are met by an open 4x4 safari vehicle and a guide transfer guests to the lodge. A 45-minute scenic drive with some game viewing on the way. Road transfers are available through The Outpost's preferred suppliers from Hoedspruit, Phalaborwa, and Polokwane, these routes all include a one and a half to two-hour drive through the park.
Access by road and air:
- Flight transfer or private charter into Pafuri airstrip
- Road transfers are available from any airport to the lodge
- The Outpost - Polokwane (PTG) Airport ( about 3 hours)
- The Outpost - Phalaborwa (PHW) Airport ( about 4 hours)
- The Outpost - Hoedspruit (HDS) Airport ( about 4h30 hours).
Below detailed information about the The Outpost Lodge Kruger National Park is available.
For any queries regarding this hotel, you are welcome to contact us.
- Bar Fridges in Room
- Ensuite / Private bathroom
- Espresso coffee maker
Dining at The Outpost Lodge
Dining at The Outpost in the Kruger National Park in South Africa is a peaceful and unique experience, and an array of options are available for the guests’ dining pleasure.
Breakfast and lunch are available in the main dining area from which beautiful views of the Luvuvhu River Valley can be admired. Lunch can also be offered as a safari picnic which makes for a memorable experience. Dinner is a beautiful affair at The Outpost Lodge, which is available in the attractively enclosed courtyard or on the pool deck, both under the gorgeous night sky.
The cuisine is of the utmost quality and draws its flavors from the local African surroundings. An extensive wine cellar, well-stocked with some of South Africa's best wines, also includes a delicious Sauvignon Blanc produced by the lodge owner.
Guests looking for the ultimate relaxation during their stay at The Outpost Lodge may enjoy rejuvenating massages in the privacy of their suites from where the incredible views of the surrounding bushveld add to an unforgettable experience. The oils used in the health and beauty spa treatments are neutral vegetable based oils.
Full Body Massage:
This 60-minute massage encompasses head, neck, back and arms and uses some the tension in the muscles.
Head and Shoulder Massage:
This 40-minute specialised massage focuses on the scalp, trapezius and deltoid muscles.
Hand and Foot Treatment:
This 30-minute massage is a luxurious hand and foot exfoliation and massage.
Thrilling game drives at The Outpost Lodge take place in the early morning and late afternoon, which may extend into the early evening. These drives are conducted in 4x4 safari vehicles by qualified and experienced guides. The guides take guests on tracks which were formerly used for park officials only, making for an exciting and exhilarating drive through the untamed African bush.
Guests can experience the bush on guided walking safaris as an alternative to a game drive. Both informative and exciting, these walks are the ideal way to get up close and personal with nature in all its glory.
Guests can book a private safari which allows the opportunity to explore the park, choosing where and when to stop and watch. Enjoy a picnic in the forest or on the riverbank and drive and walk as your heart desires while safe in the hands of an experienced guide.
The development of The Outpost has a history of the Makuleke people, with whom the lodge has a partnership. This history can be discovered and surveyed via a visit to the Makuleke Village with a Makuleke guide. Guests will have the opportunity to wander around the village and while doing so, meet the people of this proud community and how the Makuleke was won back following the confines of the old South Africa apartheid government, but then given back to nature for the sake of wildlife and biodiversity.
Historical tour - Thulamela Ruins
A morning tour through the Thulamela Ruins will leave you with an incredible memory of an ancient city and the peaceful tribe that lives there.
History tour - Crooks Corner
Crooks Corner in Southern Africa is the meeting point of South Africa, Mozambique, and Zimbabwe and the settlement there became the safe place for anyone who got into trouble and wanted to avoid the law and order of any or all of these three countries.
The most relaxing and rejuvenating massage treatments can be enjoyed in the privacy of the guests’ suites where incredible bushveld views add to the experience. The oils used in all the treatments are neutral vegetable based oils.
- Full Body Massage: This 60-minute massage encompasses head, neck, back and arms and uses some techniques to ease the tension in the muscles.
- Head and Shoulder Massage: This 40-minute specialized massage focuses on the scalp, trapezius, and deltoid muscles.
- Hand and Foot Treatment: This 30-minute massage is a luxurious hand and foot exfoliation and massage.
Conferences at The Outpost Lodge, Kruger National Park
The peaceful location of this five-star lodge in the Kruger National Park in South Africa combined with its splendid beauty and array of safari activities makes it a superb venue for corporate getaways and team building events. Delegates can leave the urban jungle behind them and disappear into the African bush for a few days.
The Outpost Lodge can accommodate 24 guests in total while a minimum of 16 guests ensures exclusive use of the lodge and tailor-made packages.
Companies have the opportunity to charter a plane for the group of delegates and arrange private game drives and bush safaris as well as birding activities, massage treatments and delicious meals in the bush.
- Hotel Bar
- Sun deck
- Swimming Pool
- Viewing deck
- Wine cellar
Check in and Check Out Times
- Check in: 14:00
- Check out: 10:00
- Airport transfers
- Concierge services
- Game drive safaris
- Housekeeping service
- Massage treatments
- Walking safaris
- Regrettably, no children under the age of 10 years can be accommodated at The Outpost Lodge in the Kruger National Park, South Africa.
- Children over the age of ten are welcome to the lodge and children between the ages of 10 to 12 pay 50% of the adult rate. Children over the age of 13 pay the full adult price.
- It should be noted that children should be supervised at all times as the suites are open-air with open balconies and the swimming pool is not fenced.
- # Rooms:
A total of twenty-four guests can be accommodated at The Outpost Lodge in the magnificent 12 free-standing suites. The open plan suites offer en-suite bathrooms and incredible, uninterrupted views of the Luvuvhu River Valley.
The well-designed Luxury Suites at The Outpost, Kruger National Park, make full use of space, concrete, and steel and with state-of-the-art retractable screens, they offer 180-degrees panoramic views of the native surroundings.
The openness of the bedroom extends into a cozy lounge and the bathroom. The award-winning bathroom has a gorgeous stone bath and opens shower with views stretching as far as Mozambique. The suites are connected to each other and the main building by a Zimbabwean teak walkway.
- # Rooms:
The Honeymoon Suite at The Outpost Lodge, South Africa, is found on top of the camp and offers the most incredible and uninterrupted views of the outlying lands. This enthralling splendour and openness of the vast wilderness ensure honeymooners feel at one with nature. The honeymoon suite offers a comfortable king-sized bed.
Luxury: Bush Suites
Luxury: River View Suites
The Outpost Lodge Kruger National Park Specials
The specials listed below will automatically be offered to you when proceeding through the booking process.
Stay 4 pay 3 special for The Outpost Lodge.
Included in the rate:
- Fully serviced Luxury accommodation
- Two game drives per day in open safari vehicles with sundowners and snacks
- Three meals daily
- Tea and Coffee
- WiFi in central area
- Non-premium drinks
Excluded from the rate:
- Curio shop purchases.
- Premium wines from our wine cellar.
- Telephone calls.
- Lodge Transfers.
- Massage therapies.
- Compulsory international fully comprehensive travel insurance.
- Park Entrance Fee of R 82 per person, per stay.
- Concessionary Levy of R 165 per person, per stay and R 75 per child under 12, per stay.
- Prices subject to change without prior notification
Terms and Conditions:
- Valid until 15 December 2018 and 1 March - 13 December 2019
- Minimum 4 night stay
- Subject to availability
- Maximum of 3 rooms / 6 guests per special offer
- Can not be combined with any other special offers
Kruger National Park | Cape Town | Plettenberg Bay
Stay at The Outpost Lodge for 3 nights, Cape View Clifton for 3 nights and The Old Rectory Hotel & Spa for 2 nights and receive a 20% discount.
** Please contact us for a quotation.
Included in the rate:
- 3 nights at The Outpost Lodge
- 3 nights at Cape View Clifton
- 2 nights at The Old Rectory Hotel & Spa
Excluded from the rate:
- Transfers, items of a personal nature
Terms and Conditions:
- Please contact us for a quote
- Subject to availability
- Terms & Consditions apply
- Cannot be combined with any other specials
Book three nights or more at The Outpost Lodge and receive a 50% discount on each leg when flying with Echo Skies to
The Outpost Lodge from Grand Central, Johannesburg and vice versa.
Please contact us for a quotation for this great package.
Included in the rate:
- Fully serviced Luxury accommodation.
- Two game drives per day in open safari vehicles with sun-downers and snacks.
- Optional game walks.
- Three meals daily.
- Tea & Coffee.
- All beverages excluding premium wines and spirits from our wine cellar.
- Laundry Service.
- Wi-Fi in central area.
- Road transfers from the Pafuri Airstrip
- 50% discount on each leg when flying with Echo Skies to The Outpost Lodge from Grand Central, Johannesburg and vice versa.
Excluded from the rate:
- Cellar wines, Premium brand spirits, champagne,
- cognacs, cigars and cigarettes
- Telephone calls
- Curio shop purchases
- Lodge Transfers
- Additional activities
- Massage Therapies
- Kruger Park Entrance Fee of R76 per person per stay (subject to change without prior notification)
- Compulsory fully comprehensive international travel insurance
- Concessionary Levy (From 1 September 2017)
- R150 per person, per stay and R75 per child under 12, per stay. (subject to change without prior notification
Terms and Conditions:
- Subject to flight availability
- This is a 3 night package
- Flight is with Echo Skies - please enquire about luggage restrictions
- Package valid until 31 December 2018
- Please note that this special cannot be combined with any other special offer.
- Valid for seat rates only and not charters.
- For flights to and from any other destinations, please contact us.
Your review has been submitted
Thank you for submitting your review. Our team will check your review and be in touch should we have any questions.
An error was found. Please correct and submit again.
Share your personal review with us of your stay at this property.
The Pafuri airstrip allows guests to fly directly into the Kruger National Park. This is where the safari begins... on arrival guests are met by an open 4x4 safari vehicle and a guide for their transfer to the The Outpost. The transfer is a pleasant 45 minute scenic drive through the Pafuri region of the Kruger National Park, with some excellent game viewing opportunities on the way.
Directions via the Kruger National Park to The Outpost Lodge, Makuleke Contractual Park (Pafuri Triangle):
From Skukuza drive north to Letaba Camp, and then continue onto Shingwedzi and further towards the Pufuri Gate (the most northern gate of the Kruger National Park).
Once you have crossed the bridge over the Luvuvhu River, in the far north of the park, drive for approximately 18km and look out for The Outpost sign (which is on the right-hand side of the road, and built out of stones).
At the sign, turn left and traveled on a dirt road for about four km before you reach the camp.
Please take note that although the route is shorter via the Kruger National Park, the speed limit is 50 km per hour, making the driving time much longer. Skukuza has situated a total of 380 km from Pafuri.
We suggest departing from Skukuza as early as possible. Have breakfast at Satara and lunch at either Mopani or Shingwedzi Camps, depending on the time. Lunch at The Outpost is served between 14h00 and 16h00.
Directions Via Pietersburg (Polokwane) and Louis Trichardt (Makhado) to The Outpost Lodge:
Follow the N1 north towards Messina (Musina).
Just after you have gone through the Baobab Toll Gate, you will find the R525 turnoff to Tshipise and Pufuri.
Take this turn off to your right and you will eventually pass Tshipise on your right.
Further along, the R525, you will also pass through the Masisi boom (this access boom is approximately 111 km from the R525 turnoff from the N1).
Please note the detour: Directions for the detour at Masisi to get around the washed away road are
When reaching Masisi on the R525 (approximately 110km from the N1), just before the turn-off to Tshikondeni coal mine (to the right), turn off the tar road left where you will see a primitive control post with a gate and a person in green uniform.
Once through the gate all is gravel. Drive approximately 400m, passing over temporary concrete pipes, then turn right just before the very large tree.
Follow the road past houses to the right for almost 300m then turn right at the first crossroad.
Follow the road and keep to left curve after 200m, then after another 200m turn right.
After 300m, passing over concrete pipes you will get back to the tar road. Turn left onto the tar road and follow road approximately 20km to Pafuri gate.
Approximately 35 km further, still on the R525 you will enter through the gate to the Makuya and Kruger National Parks.
From this gate travel another 6.6 km until you see the sign for the Outpost. Turn right at the sign and follow the 4 km dirt road to the camp.
- 52 weeks, 52 things to do in 2013 – CNN Travel
- Hideaway of the Year – Andrew Harper
- 101 Best New Hotels – Tatler Guide
- 100 Best New Hotels in the World – Conde Nast Traveller
- One of Five Best Baths with a View – Independent Newspaper
- Hottest New Game Lodge – Young Rich Travel
- South Africa’s Sexiest Bathrooms – Style
- Best Safari Lodge – Wallpaper