Thornybush Game Lodge Reviews & Information
Use the drop down below to find out more information about Thornybush Game Lodge.
The lodge is located in the wild heart of the South African Lowveld, with the vast northern Drakensberg mountain range nearby, lies over 11,010 hectares of the magnificent African bushveld. The Thornybush Private Game Reserve, which is characterised by its mixed woodland savannahs, is home to an abundance of beautiful birds and mammals including the famous Big Five, namely lion, leopard, buffalo, rhino & elephant.
It is here in this stunningly beautiful and game-rich Thornybush Game Reserve in South Africa's Limpopo Province, where attention to detail, as well as highly personalised service, make for a most memorable stay which awaits discovery by the discerning safari traveller. Various exclusive game lodges, which share this fantastic wildlife sanctuary in South Africa, are individually designed with the objective of exceeding guests expectations during their safari stay and providing an unrivalled African wildlife experience.
The different type of accommodation found at Thornybush caters for most guests' requirements and tastes, ranging from rustic, understated comfort to luxury of the most beautiful order. The game lodges which nestle within the Private Game Reserve feature outdoor swimming pools and offer adventurous dawn and dusk safaris in open Land Rovers with fully qualified rangers and trackers and bush walks for the more adventurous.
Thornybush Main Lodge
The Main Lodge is the flagship lodge which lies along the banks of the seasonal Monwana River. The Main Lodge consists of luxurious double suites that include decked living areas, library, curio shop and great pool commanding the perfect position with the ever-active waterhole at its backdrop.
Activities & Facilities
Between exciting safaris, guests are welcome to take a moment to browse in the particular library or just relax at the swimming pool with the favourite cocktail as you bask in Africa's glorious sunshine. Thornybush offers dawn and dusk open vehicles safaris with a qualified ranger and tracker team. Walks are also encouraged for the more adventurous. Sumptuous cuisine and an array of other facilities including swimming pools await your return from the safaris.
- Game drives and game walks
- Swimming pool
- Curio Shop
- Conferences & Incentives.
Below detailed information about the Thornybush Game Lodge is available.
For any queries regarding this hotel, you are welcome to contact us.
- Air Conditioning
- Ensuite / Private bathroom
- Mini bar
- Outside Shower
- Tea and coffee making facilities
- Viewing Deck
Dining at the Thornybush Private Game Reserve
Guests staying at the Thornybush Private Game Reserve enjoy gourmet meals in some exciting venues. Breakfast can be enjoyed in the bush, alongside the riverbed while delicious lunches can be enjoyed at the various dining venues. Three-course dinners are served either at the lodges, in the bush or under the African sky in a traditional boma.
The Amani Game Lodge Spa at the Thornybush Game Lodge. The Amani Spa offers a place of peace and tranquillity where guests can unwind in one of the two en-suite spa treatment rooms, each of which including a private deck.
The couple's treatment room features a luxury hydro "bush bath" which is ideal for an intimate retreat. The spa also offers a relaxation area which can be found next to the private rock pool, overlooking the beautiful African bushveld.
Spa treatments include:
- Body wraps
- Swedish massages
- Deep tissue massages
- Hot stone therapy
- Indian head massages
Game Drives or Walking Safaris
Between exciting safaris, guests staying at the Thornybush Private Game Reserve can take a moment to browse in the intimate library or simply relax at the outdoor swimming pool.
All lodges within the game rich Thornybush Private Game Reserve offer dawn and dusk open vehicles safaris with a qualified ranger and tracker team. Walks are also encouraged for the more adventurous.
- Panorama Tour: The tour visits Abel Erasmus Pass, Graskop, God's Window, Bourke's Luck Potholes, Three Rondavels and other Panorama Route attractions. Time is allowed to shop for curios at vendors along the way.
- Cheetah Breeding Project: This unique project concerns itself with the breeding and protection of several endangered indigenous wildlife species.
- Balloon Experience: Below you herds of elephant and another game move across the landscape. Early morning balloon excursions are available at all the Thornybush Game Reserve Lodges at an additional cost.
- Flight Of The Dragon: The magnificent Drakensburg escarpment can be viewed from the comfort of a light aircraft or helicopter. The fixed wing aircraft departs from Thornybush Airstrip for an hour’s flight along the escarpment and includes a stop at the private mountain stream for a swim in the calm waters and a lovely picnic lunch.
Conferences at the Thornybush Game Lodge
The conference venue at the Thornybush Game Lodge can accommodate a maximum of 60 business delegated theater style, 40 guests in classroom style seating and 20 guests in u-shape style room.
Thornybush conference facilities:
- Flip charts
- Overhead projector
- Additional equipment can be hired at an additional cost.
- Data projector is available at a small extra charge.
Optional Incentive options at the Thornybush Game Lodge in the Thornybush Private Game Reserve include 4x4 bundu bashing/obstacle course, Thornybush treasure hunts, spa treatments, interactive drumming, traditional dancing, group Bush snacks and drinks, balloon safaris and helicopter trips.
- Conference venue
- Curio Shop
- Swimming Pool
- Viewing deck
Babysitters and childminders are available at an additional cost.
Check in and Check Out Times
- Check in: 14:00
- Check out: 10:00
- Airport transfers
- Housekeeping service
- Internet connection
- Kid's entertainment
- Laundry services
- Wake-up call
The Thornybush Collection prides itself on actively welcoming children of all ages at Thornybush Game Lodge and Serondella Game Lodge. The other smaller lodges do not allow children under twelve unless the family books sole use of the camp.
Kids staying at the Thornybush Game Lodge have a special program prepared for them before their arrival that includes:
- Specific rangers dedicated to younger guests
- A complimentary pack consisting of a canvas backpack, colouring book, crayons, Safari interactive toy
- Drives and activities tailored to suit children's interests and attention span
- Children's treatments at Amani Spa (Additional cost)
- Safari walks
- Menu's specially prepared for children
- Picnics next to the pool
- Treasure hunts for a little something supplied by parents.
- # Rooms:
A variety of exclusive lodges is available at the scenic Thornybush Private Game Reserve in South Africa. Each lodge is individually designed with the objective of providing an unrivaled safari experience.
The Main Lodge at Thornybush is the flagship and is along the banks of the seasonal Monwana River. The lodge comprises of luxurious double suites flanked by an extensively decked living area, library, curio shop and magnificent pool.
The 18 suites offer en-suite facilities, outdoor showers as well as private decks. The bathrooms boast large glass windows, providing unique game viewing past the river bed.
Room facilities include:
- Separate bath and Shower
- Outside shower
- Tea and coffee making facilities.
Thornybush Family Suite
- # Rooms:
The Thornybush Game Lodge features two spacious family suites which are ideal for parents traveling with their children. Each family suite at the Thornybush Private Game Reserve is larger than the luxury suites with lounge area and a sleeper couch which can be changed to a double bed to accommodate children.
These suites also offer a large private deck, each with its private plunge pool. The family suite offers a maximum capacity of two adults and two kids under the age of 12 years or 3 adults.
Thornybush Game Lodge Specials
There are currently no specials for the Thornybush Game Lodge.
Please check again soon.
Your review has been submitted
Thank you for submitting your review. Our team will check your review and be in touch should we have any questions.
An error was found. Please correct and submit again.
Share your personal review with us of your stay at this property.
Directions from Johannesburg to the Thornybush Game Lodge:
1. The N12 to Emalahleni (Witbank), where the N12 highway links up with the N4 highway
2. Continue with the N4 in the direction Mbombela (Nelspruit)
3. Approximately 60 km past Middleburg takes the R 540 to your left
4. Travel through the towns of eMakhazeni (Belfast) and eMnotweni (Dullstroom) to Mashishing (Lydenburg)
5. Take the R 36 (which becomes the R 527) towards Hoedspruit, passing through Origstad and descending the Able Erasmus Pass
6. At Hoedspruit take the R 40 south towards Bushbuckridge
7. Continue 6 km and turn left at the Eastgate Airport sign / Argyle Road
8. Continue 14 km (tarred road) and turn right onto Guernsey Road (following the signs to Thornybush Reserve)
9. Continue 9km (gravel road) and turn left into the Thornybush Game Reserve gate
10. Follow signage to Thornybush Game Lodge for all guests checking in at Thornybush Game Lodge, Shumbalala, Monwana, Serondella, nKaya and Nkelenga
11. Guests are arriving at Chapungu Tented Camp, follow signage for Thornybush Game Lodge and continue to Chapungu Tented Camp as directed once in the Reserve.
On site parking facilities are provided for guests.