The Makakatana Bay Lodge offers its guests an unforgettable KwaZulu-Natal Safari experience with its adventures wildlife viewing, its comfortable suites, and excellent service. Situated in the St Lucia Wetland set in a dune forest, this Lodge has hidden just meters away from the water's edge of the great banks of the Lake St Lucia.
The Makakatana four-star lodge is on the banks of Lake St Lucia in KwaZulu-Natal within the iSimangaliso Wetland Park World Heritage Site in South Africa, which is the heart of Africa's largest natural estuary.
The Isimangaliso Wetland Park World Heritage Site is one of the few natural wonders left on earth where the traveller can find an untouched beach, mangroves and wildlife reserves all combined into one natural paradise. Guests can be accommodated in 6 spacious suites.
Three of these are in the dune forest and are frequented by friendly warthog, red darker, nyala, bush babies, birds, and hippo. One room at the Bay Lodge provides a view out through the forest onto a vlei, and the other has a view through the bush onto the St Lucia Lake.
The Honeymoon Suite is situated privately with views out onto a vlei. Large windows and terrace doors, as well as mosquito gauze screen doors, slide open onto private viewing decks, skillfully combining luxury and integration with the environment.
The lodge takes guests on a safari to the Hluhluwe Umfolozi Game Reserve. Guests are up around 5 am and are driven (+/- 50min) to the game reserve to seek out the big 5. A picnic brunch is served at the park and guests return to the lodge by 13H30 for light lunch at 2. Animals in Hluhluwe Umfolozi include Elephant, White Rhino, Black Rhino, Leopard, Lion, Buffalo Cheetah, Wild Dog, Hyena, Giraffe, Zebra, Dyker, Wildebeest, Impala, Reedbuck, Nyala, Kudu, other antelope and many other species of game.
Isimangaliso Wetland Park Lake St Lucia
On 28 April 1897, St Lucia was declared a game reserve. The conservation area was a 36000-hectare lake with a 1km strip of land surrounding the lake. At a later stage, other conservation areas were added. On 1, December 1999 UNESCO declared the lake and adjacent coastal areas a world heritage site. The 328 000 hectare reserve was South Africa's first world heritage site and encompasses 5 five major ecological zones.
The following is a recommended four-night itinerary which can be changed to meet each travellers needs and requirements:
- Day 1: AFTERNOON WETLANDS SAFARI DRIVE (3:30pm/4: 00 pm -6:30pm/7: 00 pm): Guests are taken on an afternoon Safari Drive into the wetlands to observe animals in this beautiful region such as Hippo, crocodile & birds on their first day at the Lodge. It is recommended that guests arrive at the Lodge by 15h00 to go on the drive. Animals that may be seen include Giraffe, Wildebeest, Buffalo, Zebra, White Rhino, Waterbuck, serval, porcupine, genet, Leopard, Elephant and Black Rhino.
- Day 2: BOAT TRIP ON LAKE ST LUCIA (8:30 am- 2:30 pm): An early breakfast is after which guests depart the Lodge to embark on a boat trip to Lake St Lucia. The focus of this safari is to seek out birdlife, hippo, and crocodile on the ship and other animals and birds in the Wetlands. After a picnic lunch and a short drive through the park, guests return to the Lodge and relax in the afternoon.
- Day 3: BEACH SAFARI (8:30 am - 3:00 pm): Depart after Breakfast & enjoy a leisurely safari drive to the Eastern Shores through the Greater St Lucia Wetland Park Reserve. Guests are taken to the beach for walking, swimming & snorkelling and then enjoy a picnic lunch in the dune forests followed by a safari drive back to the Lodge. This is a combination of safari, which includes a safari drive and beach experience.
- Day 4: HLUHLUWE/ UMFOLOZI GAME RESERVE (5:00 am - 1:30 pm) Early Wake-up and depart from the Lodge - 45-minute drive in a Safari vehicle (or combi if preferred) to Hluhluwe or Umfolozi Game Reserve. A light continental breakfast is served just after entering the park. Guests return to the Lodge by 13h30. Enjoy an afternoon siesta or leisure time at the pool on the edge of the lake.
- Day 5: CHECK OUT: Early morning drives and checks out after breakfast.
Hotel room features:
- Five standard suites
- One honeymoon suite
- Air-conditioning/ heating
- Private wildlife viewing decks
- En-suite bathroom and toilet
- Outdoor shower
- Service bar fridges
- Tea & coffee facilities
Facilities and Services
- Private personal service
- Five luxurious suites
- One Honeymoon Suite
- 12-bed maximum capacity
- Private bush pool on the edge of the lake
- A TV in the main lounge
- Dining room
- Outdoor dining deck
- Boma for bush dinners
- Wine cellar in 'Old Crab House.'
- Private dining on request.
- Scuba Diving (Sodwana)
- Whale Watching Safaris (June - Nov)
- Turtle Tours (November - January)
- Deepsea Fishing
- Dumazulu Cultural Village
- Fly Fishing off the beach
- Morning Birding
- Horse Safaris on beach or game ride
- 1 Hour Flight over the Lake & Coastline
- 2h30 hours drive from Durban
- 1h00 hour drive from Richards Bay Airport
- 6h30 hours drive from Johannesburg
- However, it is not in the town of St Lucia. It is 30km north of the N2 past Mtubatuba/ St Lucia turn of