Recommended directions from the OR Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg to the Madikwe Safari Lodge (4h30):
This route is recommended if you do not mind traveling 50 kilometers/30 miles on a gravel road, or if you are coming from or going to Sun City. This is a shorter route in the distance, does not require a 4x4 vehicle and is more scenic.
- Depart OR Tambo Johannesburg Airport following the airport exit signs (R21 & R24)
- Approximately 200m after that the road forks. Take the right fork towards R21 N Pretoria/R24 Johannesburg
- The road immediately turns sharply right. Stay in the left lane immediately and follow the signs to R21 N Pretoria while exiting the airport
- After exiting the airport, get into the left lane and follow the R21 N Kempton Park/Pretoria signs
- After 300m, take the left off ramp following the R 21 N Kempton Park/Pretoria signs
- Once on the R21 N drive for 36.3 km
- After 34km, you will see signs indicating exit 134 (N1 Noord, Pretoria/Polokwane/Johannesburg)
- Take exit 134
- Immediately after that the road forks. Take the right fork towards N1 North Polokwane
- Travel for 22.5km along the N1
- After 20km look for exit 156 to the left (N4 Rustenburg). Take exit 156 and get onto N4 to Rustenburg.
- The N4 is a toll road, so please be aware of toll taxes
- Once on the N4, continue for 62 km
- Turn right at the top of the off-ramp towards Sun City and continue straight to Sun City (approximately 73 km /45 miles from this off-ramp). It is advisable to fill up with fuel at the Sun Village, just after the Sun City entrance on the right
- After passing Sun City and the Sun Village on the right, continue straight until you reach a four-way junction
- Turn right to DERDEPOORT, follow the road for approximately eight km/5 miles
- Turn left at the sign for BAPONG. Continue straight along this road. Please ignore all signs for Madikwe Hospital or Village etc
- After passing through MABESKRAAL (approximately 45 km/28 miles), you will come to a four-way stop where you must turn right to DERDEPOORT. This newly-tarred/ sealed road continues for about 25 km/16 miles and has very few signs. It then becomes gravel/dirt, with the Dwarsberg Liquor Store on your left, after which you continue for 58 km/36 miles
- Continue straight along the gravel road towards MOLATEDI village (do not take the next Derdepoort road to the right, keep straight)
- Here you will be welcomed by the friendly gate staff, who will confirm your reservation and direct you to the correct Lodge at Madikwe Safari Lodge
- Proceed into the reserve on the main road following the signs to the DERDEPOORT gate/MADIKWE SAFARI LODGE, approximately 33 km/20 miles and it should take you approximately 45 minutes
- Please note the reserve speed limit is 40 km/h or 25 miles/h.