From Johannesburg to the Ngala Safari Lodge
1. Head towards the N12/N4 through Witbank, then later left onto the R540 to Belfast (opposite the Engen Fuel Station).
2. In Belfast, turn right towards Dullstroom and Mashishing (Lydenburg).
3. In Mashishing (Lydenburg) look out for the information boards directing you to the R36 to Ohrigstad. Follow the signs to R36 Ohrigstad, Hoedspruit or Tzaneen. It is marked 46 km to Ohrigstad as you leave Mashishing.
4. Stay on the R36. Pass through Ohrigstad, later over the beautiful Abel Erasmus Pass and through the JG Strydom Tunnel, following the signs to Hoedspruit.
5. Once in here, continue over the railway line bridge. Turn right at the stop street onto the R40 to Klaserie.
6. After approximately 6km turn left at the Timbavati / East Gate signs. Sign in at the security boom and continue straight for about 17 km. You will cross the Klaserie River and check in at the Timbavati Control Gate.
7. At the Timbavati gate, sign the visitors book and pay road levy and conservation fee.
8. Follow the road for about 16 km until you reach a big right turn. There is a stone marker indicating that Ngala Safari Lodge is 14.5 km to the right.
9. The road is gravel from here. After about 6km turn left and continued straight for about 7 km. There are two sandy rivers to cross. Quicker is better than slower!
10. At the top of the hill, follow the Lodge sign on the right for another 3 km to the Lodge.