The Samara Private Game Reserve nestles in the Eastern Cape of South Africa in proximity to the town Graaff-Reinet. This magnificent reserve is about a 2 1/2 hours drive away from Port Elizabeth. Guest may self-drive directly to the Samara Private Game Reserve or fly into Port Elizabeth from where the lodge can assist with transfers. The Samara Game Reserve also features a private landing strip for direct charter to the lodge.
Directions to Samara from Port Elizabeth Airport (Total distance 270km)
- Exit airport and turn right at the traffic circle into M11 Allister Miller Road
- 2km and at the traffic lights turn left into Forest Hill Drive
- 700 meters and at the traffic lights turn right into M7 Walmer Boulevard
- 500m and at the 3rd set of traffic lights turn left onto M4 Settler\\\'s Way
- 6km and exit left on 751A, keep right and exit right onto N2 Cape Town
- 1.5km and exit left on 748 off-ramp to R75 Commercial/Uitenhage Road
- 350m and turn right at the 2nd set of traffic lights onto R75 Uitenhage Road
- 14km and exit left onto R75 Uitenhage and follow R75 Graaff-Reinet Road
- 209km on R75 and turn right onto the R63 Pearston/Somerset East Road
- 7km and turn left onto Petersburg Road. (unpaved dirt road)
- 3km to the first electric gate. Please phone 049 891 0880 and inform the lodge that you are on the property
- 12.5km to the second double electric gate and then 2.2km to the Manor House Reception turn-off or 5.4km to the Karoo Lodge Reception turnoff. It is about a 30 minute drive on the unpaved dirt road
Accessing the Samara Private Game Reserve By Road:
The recommended route from Port Elizabeth takes the R75 towards Graaff-Reinet for 258km.
Turn right and take the R63 towards Pearston/ Somerset East for 7km.
Turn left onto the Petersburg gravel road and drive 23km to reach Karoo Lodge.
Accessing the Samara Private Game Reserve By Air:
Daily flights from Johannesburg, Durban and Cape Town to Port Elizabeth are available. Air charters from Port Elizabeth to Samara (gravel airstrip) can be arranged on request.
Samara Private Airstrip Co-ordinates:
E240 45min 48 sec
S320 26 min 34 sec
Length 1500 m
Arrival/Departure at Samara:
The recommended arrival time at the Samara Private Game Reserve is 14h00. Suites are to be vacated by 11h00 to allow ample opportunity for them to be made perfect for incoming guests. Late departures can be arranged with the lodge, subject to availability of a
suite for daytime use.