The great Masai Mara in Kenya, East Africa, is perhaps one of Africa's most iconic wildlife sanctuaries. The Mara in Kenya, the Okavango Delta in Botswana, the Serengeti in Tanzania and the Kruger National Park in South Africa is Africa's premier destinations for a wildlife safari. The Masai Mara is perhaps the most familiar setting for what would an African safari with vast open plains home to thousands of Wildebeest grazing at the feet of a majestic giraffe.
The reserve is also renowned for its big populations of lion, leopard, and cheetahs. The Sand and Mara rivers run through the reserve and the banks are lined with big trees and ravine bushveld. All members of the 'Big Five' can be found in the reserve as well as hippos, crocodiles, hyenas, cheetahs, jackals, giraffe, and bat-eared foxes.
Frequently Asked Questions about the Masai Mara:
- Where is the Masai Mara? Located in Kenya, the reserve is located to the northern border of Tanzania.
- How Big is the Masai Mara? The reserve is about four hundred and fifty thousand acres in size.
- How do you get to Masai Mara? The easiest way is to book your flight to the capital city of Kenya Nairobi, Jomo Kenyatta International Airport. From there we will be able to book your flight to the nearest airstrip. The flights last about 45 minutes to an hour depending on the exact location for the airstrip. The flights can be included in the safari package.
- Is the Masai Mara in the Serengeti? The answer to that is yes and no. The Masai Mara and Serengeti are geographically one park separated by a man-made line which is the border between Kenya and Tanzania in East Africa. On the Tanzanian side, this reserve is referred to as the Serengeti and on the Kenyan side, it is called the Masai Mara.
- When is the best time to visit the Masai Mara? The reserve is a fantastic year-round safari destination. However, if you would like to witness the annual migration, then July and October are the best months. As it is located on or near the equator, the average temperature stays fairly constant with daytime temperatures of around 25 degrees Celsius or 55 degrees Fahrenheit.
- When is the cheapest time to visit Masai Mara? Most tourists avoid the rainy season as you may have to help dig the land rover out of the mud but this is also the best time to get a bargain and those months are March, April and May.
- How much is a Masai Mara safari? The question is a bit like how much is a car. We arrange a family midsize car to Ferrari. We arrange safari accommodation, as well as packages ranging from the middle all the way up to tours where intercamp transfer are done by helicopter and safari vehicles, have Rolls Royce seats. So our tours would start at:
- A middle of the range safari would start at about USD 500.00 per person per day that would include transfers and accommodations, meals and safaris, We would recommend 3 nights so for a couple it would be about USD 3,000.00, this would be a three-star tour.
- A deluxe Masai Mara Safari would start at about USD 1,000.00 per person per day that would include transfers and accommodations, meals and safaris, with a recommended 3 nights for a couple it would be about USD 6,000.00, this would be a five-star tour
Masai Mara Lodges & Camps
Wildebeest are the dominant inhabitants of the plains with their numbers estimated to be in the millions. Around July these animals migrate into the Serengeti (Tanzania) along with herds of zebra, Thomson's gazelles, Topi and elands and return to the south around October. The Great Migration in East Africa is said to be one of the world's most impressive natural events.
A large number of bird species can also be found in reserve including raptors, vultures, storks, secretary birds, hornbills, cranes, ostriches, eagles, falcons and rollers.
The best time to visit the Masai Mara Game Reserve in Kenya, East Africa, is during the wildebeest migration between July and October each year.
Also referred to as the Masai Mara or The Mara, this game reserve in Kenya borders the Serengeti National Park in Tanzania. Being home to the annual Great Migration, the most ideal time to visit this region of Kenya is between July and October.
Frequently asked service question about Masai Mara:
- Has the consultant visited the Masai Mara? Our knowledgeable consultants who tailor make itineraries and book a specific region in Africa have visited the safari lodges and have first-hand experience.
- Would consultants have biases over one lodge versus another? Yes, they would only recommend the very best option in terms of budget and level of quality.
- Do we offer a rate guarantee on our Safari option to the Masai Mara? We offer the best rates and we guarantee our pricing and would be delighted to better any quote on offer.
- How long has the company been booking safari holidays tours to the Masai Mara in Kenya? During the last ten years, our clients have experienced unforgettable and adventurous wildlife encounters in Kenya through us.
- What is the cancellation policy for safaris in the Masai Mara? We encourage all clients to get a travel insurance and will assist in any way we need as this holiday is a big ticket item. However, we will always make every effort to return funds to clients and pass a credit for a future date. We work with the principle that we do not want to profit out of other people's misery. We also have an obligation as representatives of the whole of Africa to make sure you visit Africa is a memorable one.
Preferred Masai Mara Safari Packages
The eight-day guided Kenya Safari Tour takes guests to the famous Maas...
Explore East Africa during an unforgettable safari for 8 days and save...
Enjoy an unforgettably romantic Honeymoon at andBeyond's luxurious...